Sunday, June 5, 2011

"Amore è non dover mai dire che sei brutto": The long-LONG-overdue Robert Fuest biography

The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971) is one of my favorite films (for what that's worth), so the news of a book on its director, Robert Fuest, filled me with glee. Fuest told me how delighted he was by it, and I can see why. Though I've been collecting Phibes-abilia for eons, there are still several excellent behind-the-scenes shots from it and Fuest's other films that are entirely new to me. My Italian is multo lousy, so I can't comment on the text-- it looks very solid, though. Visually, the book is essential reading for Fuest aficionados, covering every aspect of his career-- as director, production designer, and, most recently, fine artist. Fuest's marvelously unique and mordant films are finally being given their due. (I wish that someone would dig up a bunch of behind-the-scenes shots from Fuest's The Final Programme... Does anyone know where I can find the still of Jon Finch in his Jerry Cornelius foppery talking with Michael Moorcock on the set, with the latter's outstanding tattoo, a mushroom cloud over his heart, very apparent?)

No comments:

Post a Comment