Saturday, September 7, 2013

Dr. Phibes Comes to Blu-ray!

http://www.fangoria.com/new/huge-vincent-price-collection-blu-ray-update-from-shout-factory/

I have had to keep mum about this for the last couple of months, but I can finally publicly announce that I have recorded the audio commentary for Scream Factory's upcoming blu-ray release of The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971). ONE of the audio commentaries, I should say-- the other is by my dear friend, the film's director, the late Bob Fuest. Not long after he recorded his track about three years ago, I spoke with Bob and he had obviously enjoyed it immensely. It came not long after a close friend of his had died, and doing the commentary seemed to allay his grief. I am as excited to hear what his no doubt hilarious, giggly, highly enjoyable anecdotes and remarks about the film.

This is my first video commentary, and I am honored that it is this particular film-- one of my all-time favorites. I never set out to become some kind of authority on Dr. Phibes-- what's the point?-- but it looks like I am, and I'm proud of it. More importantly, I am completely sold on the blu-ray format, and seeing the film looking better than it ever has before outside of a movie theater will be a joy to behold.

A note for nitpickers: the commentary was recorded in one continuous ninety-minute take, and at least one error crept in: I pronounced the name of swinging '60s London's Biba store as "By-bah" instead of the correct "Bee-bah." Just so I don't come off as a hick to the little weasels who spend their days picking apart anything that anyone else does publicly, I'll 'fess up to the mistake.

I hope that anyone who takes the time to listen to my commentary will find that it was worth their while.


No comments:

Post a Comment